Friday, October 29, 2010

Corinne May Botz " Haunted Houses "

And the spirit of Halloween continues.....
Corinne May Botz is a photographer and chronicler of everyday spaces with secret, invisible histories. Her work has been exhibited internationally in solo and group shows. She is the author of The Nutshell studies of Unexplained Death and Haunted Houses.

" My venture into haunted houses began the summer following my college graduation. I was living in an old Baltimore apartment, where I passed the long hot days reading ghost stories by the female authors Edith Wharton, Charlotte Bronte, Ellen Glasgow, and Toni Morrison. I wanted to further understand the relationship among women, ghosts, and houses, but I didn’t want to escape into books like far too many women before me. Instead, I decided to use ghost stories as a means to voyage into the world, and embarked on a journey to photograph the interiors of America’s haunted houses. "

One need not be a chamber to be haunted,
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.

—Emily Dickinson 

Book cover

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey


La Posada Hotel, Winslow, Arizona


Mono County, California


Frankfort, Maine


Private residence, Cumberland, Kentucky


Private residence, Clinton, Maine


Vancouver, Washington


Images courtesy Random House and Corinne May Botz
Click here  to listen to oral ghost stories




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks everyone for your nice comments! Keep checking this blog, cool posts everyday except on weekends..... Cheers!